Within the scope of the TACIS 92 Programme, the EC and the Russian Ministry of Atomic Power (Minatom) agreed on a list of nuclear power plants and of projects for each plant aimed at improving the operational safety of these plants. This part of the TACIS programme was called "TACIS 92 on-site activities".
For each selected plant an EU nuclear operator was to set up a team to work with the Russian End User (Smolensk NPP). In the present case this was performed by British Energy (at that time Scottish Nuclear - the Consultant).
The object of the present project was to implement the on-site activities at Smolensk NPP; these activities by the Consultant being the subject of formal contracts between the EC and the Consultant.
The work was split into two phases.
The first task (Phase 1) included a mission to the site to examine with the End User a detailed description of the selected projects, establish the general schedule and work plan and the Consultant's manpower requirement, and collect all information necessary to start the work on-site as quickly as possible. This was essentially the preparation for the main On Site Assistance contract, which would be implemented under Phase 2.
After having performed the tasks of Phase 1, the Consultant would establish his on site team to start the implementation of the agreed projects, which included equipment supply projects as well as the provision of general operational support to the End User.
The activities to be performed included:
- Definition of safety deficiencies;
- Proposal for remediation with or without further financial EC support;
- Definition of project proposals for EC to seek financial support for the selected project(s);
- Preparation of “Technical Specifications”(TS) for equipment supply projects, when a project has been adopted by EC and Minatom;
- Preparation of “Technical Terms of Reference” (TOR) for service projects, if considered necessary;
- Assistance to EC and Beneficiary in the procurement process to purchase the equipment;
- Assistance in the implementation / installation of procured equipment.
- General operational safety assistance to the End User.