ROVNO NPP (RAES) is composed of 3 reactors in operation (2 WWER 440/213 and 1 WWER 1000/320). EDF decided to join the EC effort on improvement of design and operational safety and conduct the whole project, particularly to permit development of the on-site presence of a significant team, which is considered as necessary condition for the implementation of an in-depth work program.
This programme aimed at improving of the following areas at Rovno NPP:
Operating and monitoring conditions;
Design nuclear safety level;
Nuclear safety organization during operations.
This project was implemented in two phases; Phase 1 and Phase 2 and lasted 36 months. EDF operational assistance involved above mentioned safety improvement areas. In addition, several technical methodological exchanges were organised by the EDF OSA team with ROVNO NPP engineers and technicians.
Improvement of operating and monitoring conditions involved activities linked with procurement procedures. The four selected action within TACIS 92, 93, and 94 programmes using all the funds available were defined as its first priority and included the following:
- Installation of a vibration monitoring system for the primary pump at VVER 1000/320 reactor,
- Implementation of a policy for monitoring collectors and steam generator tubes,
- Procurement of spare parts specially for safety related valves and associated actuators,
- Replacement of the information system of VVER 440/213 units.
Improvement of design nuclear safety level involved development of Safety improvement report which presented an exhaustive programme of action that must be performed, with prior justification in order to reach a sufficient safety level, considering:
- Selected improvement projects identified by the plant, Goskomatom and GANU,
- All the experience on VVER reactors,
- The results of a large evaluation conducted by Riskaudit for GANU.
In addition, a vulnerability analysis for fire hazards, which must be followed by the implementation of the various actions identified to improve protective devices against the fire risk was implemented. A particular action engaged by the TACIS 92 programme was replacement of floor coating in the controlled area of VVER 440/213 units, which was the first priority of Rovno NPP.
Improvement of Nuclear safety organization during operations involved necessary actions to improve operating methods and practices by an active transfer of operating experience of EDF in the day work including:
- Organization, in order to encourage workers at each level to be responsible and to limit hazards resulting from existence of multiple interface between the different people involved,
- Development of individual and collective safety culture.
- The main tasks were:
- Writing Technical Operating Specification,
- Setting up quality assurance organization,
- Work and organization of maintenance,
- Work and organization of operation and operational documentation.
This project (phase 1 and 2) was completed in June 1996 with the issuance and signature of the Certificate of the Final acceptance.
Further information on the project results could be sought from the beneficiary organizations.
The Project Final report is available at the JRC-IE archive.