Leningrad Nuclear Power Plant (LNPP) is located in the vicinity of Sosnovy Bor in Russia's Leningrad Oblast, on the southern shore of the Gulf of Finland, some 70 kilometers to the west of the city centre of Saint Petersburg. It consists of four nuclear reactors of RBMK-1000 type. Construction of the first unit started in May 1967, and the Unit reached full power operation in December 1973. Another three units with RBMK reactors were constructed at LNPP site in parallel. In August 1981, the Unit 4, last one at the LNPP site, reached the rated power output of 1 000 MW. Based on Chernobyl accident lessons learned as well as Russian Federation Gostatomnadzor requirements, all RBMK reactors at LNPP were substantially modernized. Currently (2012) two units of VVER-1200 type are under construction at Leningrad NPP II to replace the current RBMK reactors when they reach the end of their service life.
Research and Development Institute of Power Engineering (NIKIET) was established in 1952 and began with the first steps of nuclear energy in the Soviet Union. It was this institute that developed the first reactor system for the first Soviet nuclear submarine, a water-graphite pressure-tube reactor for the world's first nuclear power plant in Obninsk, the first dual-purpose power reactor built at Sibirskaya NPP, and the first pressure-tube reactor with nuclear steam superheating for Beloyarsk NPP. It is the architect engineer for RBMK reactors. Today, NIKIET is one of Russia's largest centers for nuclear engineering and technology, with sites in Moscow and in the Urals. The Institute has been involved in the programmes of European Commission TACIS and PHARE and the European Bank of Reconstruction and Development, as well as in bilateral projects for safety analysis of RBMK plants.
TACIS 92 nuclear safety programme agreed upon between the European Commission and the Russian Federation contained provisions for enhancement of operational safety and near term technical improvements for Russian NPP. In line with this programme the On-site assistance (OSA) activities were to be implemented through cooperation between selected NPPs / Utilities in Russia and Utilities from the European Union.
The aim of the 1992' On-Site Assistance programme was to improve the operational safety at Leningrad NPP through the transfer of know-how and operational best practice. The OSA Consultant task was to provide the Project Management Services for the Development of an All Station Computer Network. The procurement, installation and commissioning of the computer network was subject to a separate Supply contract.
The Phase 1 of the project covered by current contract involved the project management services for two parts: Part A Development of the All Station Computer Network, and Part B Technical Support Centre for nuclear Power Plants with RBMK reactors. Phase 2 was supposed to provide for equipment procurement.
The OSA activities at LNPP were implemented by the EC Consultant Magnox Electric. This was a very first OSA type contract implemented in the Russian Federation during which the Magnox Electric team pioneered the way of implementing the TACIS projects at LNPP site.
The Project consisted of two parts which were closely linked together. Part A focused on the development and implementation of the All Station Computer Network which would make possible the integration of plant data into one consolidated plant computer network system, and Part B, which would facilitate a similar network, equipped with necessary hardware and software to allow for data communication between the nuclear power plants operating RBMK reactors and the technical support centre NIKIET in Moscow.
The Project Part A involved the following activities:
– Elaboration of the concept in respect of an All Station Network designed to enhance NPP safety and reliability;
– Review state of preparation on site and of software availability;
– Establish Technical Specification of computer network and identify possible suppliers, budget costs and project programme;
The project Part B involved the following activities:
– Elaboration of the concept of the Technical Support Centre designed to enhance NPP sqfety qnd co,pqre zith Zestern prqctice;
– Assess NPP aspects and link with project part A (All Station Computer Network);
– Review state of preparation and/or procurement of required software;
– Establish Technical Specification of computer hardware and identify possible suppliers, budget cost and project programme;
Further procurement activities for both project parts were performed in the framework of the follow-on On-Site Assistance project (Phase 2 – see contract 22936)
The OSA Contract started on 1st December 1993 with duration of 4 months. The Contract was later extended and expired on 1st May 1994.
The activities were completed as required in the Terms of Reference of the contract.