The TACIS Nuclear Programme supported in various training projects operation and maintenance of VVER Power Stations. In order to cover RBMK-Power Stations as well, the training programme for VVER reactors was to be adapted and extended by giving support to the Smolensk training centre, Desnogorsk, operated by Atomtechenergo (ATE).
The achieved results correspond to the TOR. The achieved results are:
- Agreement on the three key positions, for which training programmes would be analysed, designed and developed (reactor operator, unit operator and turbine operator);
- Supplying a full set of SAT procedures through adaptation of documentation from previous TACIS 91 projects 1.8 and 4.1 (difficulties encountered in obtaining documentation);
- Analysis of SAT procedures and training on these procedures;
- Delivery of a Quality Assurance Plan;
- Job analysis for the three key positions: a database (not included in the initial project) was required to handle the data produced;
- Training programme design: handled by Russian experts and reviewed by Western experts;
- Procurement of training equipment (difficulties encountered in procuring equipment due to differences between Western and Russian procurement practices);
- Development of selected material for the three positions;
- Implementation of the human factors/operational techniques course;
- Production of a final agreed list (prioritised list) of equipment required for training (including a centralised audio-visual laboratory at Smolensk Training Centre) to be procured later.