The objective of the project was to support the Russian experts in an evaluation of technical solutions for a safety-related modernization of Novovoronezh Units 3 and 4.
As a result of the project, recommendations for safety related modernizations were given for the following systems. For each item a relevant report has been written.
- Emergency core cooling system for high and low pressure operation.
- Spray systems.
- Cooling water systems for emergency core cooling facilities.
- Development of a new emergency feed water system.
- New emergency power distribution facilities for the new safety systems.
- Upgrading the relieve valves on the pressurizer.
- Upgrading the over pressure protection of the Steam Generator (SG) including fast acting isolation valves.
- Development of an emergency gas removal system from the 1st loop.
- Integrity proof of the confinement.
- Upgrading of the ventilation systems.
- Development of a system to automatically manage accidents in case of SG leakages between the 1st and the 2nd loop.
- Improvement of the core instrumentation and core control.
- Upgrading the reactor control and protection system.
- Upgrading the information system.
- Development of back-up shutdown centre.
The results have been of benefit to other plants with the same design (Kola, Kozloduy and Bohunice).