According to the intention of the European Union and the Russian Ministry of Atomic Power the operational safety assistance, which started with TACIS 92, continued with TACIS 97 with the same Western and Eastern Utility and NPPs.
Similar to the procedure in TACIS 92 a joint Western/Eastern working team was to be set up to continue the work started in TACIS 92. In the present case NERSA is the Consultant, contracted by the European Commission to provide operational safety assistance to Beloyarsk NPP.
The projects defined under the TACIS budget 1997 have been supported by the Western Utility in the following aspects:
- Setting up of a Technical Specification (TS);
- Agreement with EC and Beneficiary on the TS;
- Assistance in the procurement process;
- Assistance in custom clearance;
- Assistance in installation of the equipment.
Further general assistance has been given by the Western Utility in upgrading safety culture on the NPP.