The aim of the project was to create and group Early Biddable Projects into packages for implementation and to develop Technical Specifications for these packages. The Technical Specifications are based on the Shelter Implementation Plan (SIP) for the Recommended Course of Action which was elaborated in the EC Chernobyl Unit 4 Short and Long Term Measures Study, which is the reference document for this project.
Planned outputs were:
- Identification, Preparation and grouping of Specifications to be developed;
- Development of Technical Specifications for Early Biddable Project packages;
- Establishment of format and requirements for the specifications.
The experts of the Project Specification Team elaborated details of the technical specifications based on the information in the SIP, comprising:
- Assessment of feasibility of each individual Early Biddable Project Package;
- Elaboration of preliminary draft Technical Specifications;
- Discussion of the preliminary draft with international experts;
- Mission to Ukraine for discussion of the preliminary draft Technical Specifications with Chernobyl Nuclear Power Plant and the Ukrainian authorities;
- Preparation of the draft Technical Specifications on the basis of the experts comments;
- Discussion of the draft with international experts;
- Finalisation workshop;
- Final version of Technical Specifications for Early Biddable Project Packages.
The project work was implemented mainly from June 1997 to September 1997. The Draft Technical Specifications for the Early Biddable Projects were issued as required in the Terms of Reference. The Draft Technical Specifications served as a basis for discussions and agreements between Chernobyl Nuclear Power Plant, the Ukrainian authorities and international experts. The Final Technical Specifications for the Early Biddable projects were prepared and submitted according to the instructions received from the EC and NSWG to the EBRD by the end of September 1997.
A Final report was prepared in English and Russian.
In short, the results can be described as:
- grouping of four Early Biddable Project packages;
- preliminary draft Technical Specifications for Early Biddable Projects reviewed by Ukrainian and international experts and issued to the NRA;
- draft Technical Specifications for Early Biddable Projects reviewed by experts and NRA and issued to EBRD;
- final Technical Specifications for Early Biddable Projects reviewed and approved by EBRD and ChNPP and issued to EBRD;
- Final report including the finalised Technical Specification in an English and Russian.
The project budget was109 543 Euro.